St. Matthew's / St. Paul's Anglican-United Hearst
28 Ninth St., Hearst, Ontario P0L 1N0
The Rev. Canon Phelan Scanlon
Box 1029, Hearst, Ontario P0L 1N0
Hearst is located approximately 92 km west of Kapuskasing, on Hwy 11 and along the Mattawishkwia River. The self proclaimed “Moose Capital of Canada”, Hearst has a population of roughly 6,000 people. The town was established in 1913 with the construction of the railway. Previously known as Grant, Hearst was named after Sir William Howard Hearst, the 7th Premier of Ontario and was incorporated as a town in 1922. Hearst has a strong French community, with 96% of its population being Francophone. St. Paul’s United Church was built in 1921 and St. Matthew's Anglican Church prior to that time. Because of dwindling numbers, in 1968 both Anglican and United congregations provided approval and the two churches became one in 1970. Since that time both St. Paul's United Church and St. Matthew's Church buildings have been alternatively used by the congregation until St. Matthew's was de-consecrated and torn down. The joint congregation, now known as St. Matthew/St.Paul's Anglican-United Church, worships in the former United Church building.
Today's congregation is served by an Anglican priest and several Lay Ministers/Sacraments Elders, all of whom provide services in both the Anglican and United Church traditions. The congregation has an active Men's Breakfast group and a Ladies' Coffee Circle and provides ministry to the greater Hearst area.
The congregation is active at both the Diocesan and Presbytery levels of the wider Church.
Anglican Eucharist: 11:00 am 2nd Sunday of the month. Fr. Larry officiating
Morning Prayer Service 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays alternating UC and Ang.