St. Peter's on-the-Rock Kirkland Lake
7 Kirkland St., Kirkland Lake, Ontario P2N 1M3
The Rev. Catherine Murkin, The Rev. Vivien Clarke (Deacon)
Box 692, Kirkland Lake, Ontario P2N 3M6
The community bears its name from a nearby lake named in 1907 recognizing Winnifred Kirkland, who herself never visited the area. The lake itself no longer exists due to mine tailings, and the community of Kirkland Lake has grown since 1907, to comprise the nearby townships of Chaput Hughes, Swastika and Harvey Kirkland (also known as King Kirkland). Now better known for producing world famous hockey players, due to the closure of several mines, Kirkland Lake was originally founded for its gold. Kirkland Lake has a population of approximately 10,000 people with the vast majority of it being senior citizens. St. Peter’s on-the-Rock is the southernmost parish in the Diocese of Moosonee. Built in 1948, the church is known for its beautiful woodcarvings depicting religious scenes in mine settings.
10:00 AM - BAS Eucharist