St. Peter's Waskaganish
The Rev. Gladys Matoush
Box 309, Waskaganish, Quebec J0M 1R0
Located at the mouth of the Rupert River on the south-east shores of James Bay, Waskaganish has a population of approximately 2000 people. “The Land of the People”, otherwise known as Eeyou Istchee in Cree, has been occupied by the James Bay Cree since the dawn of man. In 1611 their isolation became known by a European explorer named Henry Hudson. Here the first Hudson Bay Company fur trading post was founded in 1668. The current community of Waskaganish was previously known as Fort Rupert. Only since 2001 has there been a road access to the community, via the James Bay Highway. At the moment, St. Peter’s Church does not have a resident priest, however, parishioners still gather on Sunday afternoons for prayer, led by local lay readers.
3:00 PM - Afternoon Prayer