St. Philip's Chisasibi
2 Maamuu Rd, Chisasibi, Quebec J0M 1E0
The Rev. Clifford Bearskin, The Rev. Samuel Bearskin, The Rev. Abraham Cox, The Rev. Stephen Pepabano, The Rev. Canon Jacob Sealhuner, The Rev. Eliza Webb (Deacon)
Box 90, Chisasibi, Quebec J0M 1E0
The Cree word for “Great River”, the current community of Chisasibi is located along the eastern coast of the James Bay in Quebec. Previously Chisasibi was located on the island of Fort George. In 1803 the HBC founded Fort George as a port. The Cree settled permanently on the island not long after its creation. In 1981, the community was relocated to the mainland’s south shore, by the Government of Quebec. The relocation was necessary because of possible and expected erosion of the island due to the increasing water flow of the La Grande watershed, caused by the construction of a hydro-electric damn in 1970. An Anglican mission was established in 1852 and an Anglican School was constructed in 1907. The current population of the Cree Nation of Chisasibi is approximately 4,000 people.
Sunday services – 11 am, 3 pm, 7 pm weekly